Frequently Asked Questions

We’d like to help you understand some of the terms and language used in insurance or about this site – Here are some of the most frequently asked questions with answers given to them.

Yes – you will need to login to our system so we can start the quote process.

Having car or motorcycle insurance is a legal requirement required by law.  Also it provides financial protection in the event of your vehicle being damaged or if you cause injuries to other drivers, passengers or pedestrians, and their property.

Third party insurance is the legal minimum. This means you’re covered if you have an accident causing damage or injury to any other person, vehicle, animal or property. It doesn’t cover any other costs like repair to your own vehicle.

If you want to be covered for damage to your own vehicle in an accident thats your fault then you will need to have a Comprehensive policy.   If you don’t want cover to repair damage you might cause to your own vehicle but want to be covered if your vehicle is stolen or catches fire – then consider Third Party Fire and Theft policy.

Fully comprehensive insurance policies offer the highest level of vehicle insurance protection.

With fully comprehensive car, motorcycle or van insurance you are covered for damage you might cause to other peoples property, and your own vehicle is also insured for accidental damage, even if the accident is your fault.

Also you may often be insured (at least third party) to drive another vehicle of the same type (car/motorcycle/van etc) with the owner’s permission. Do check the policy detail though to make sure this is the case!


In the event of an accident where you are to blame.  Third party fire and theft covers you against any damage or injuries you cause to others but it won’t protect you against damage caused to your vehicle.  As the name suggests it does provide cover should your vehicle be stolen or if it catches fire.

Insurance quotes are based on the Insuring company understanding the risk they are undertaking so its important that you are always truthful and accurate in the information you give.   If however you do less miles a year or buy a car or motorcycle that statistically in less accidents than others, then this will all assist.  There are some things you can do to help – such as fit an approved alarm and immobiliser and keep your pride and joy in a locked garage.  Some things you can’t change, such as your age, what you work as and where you live. These things need to be accurately noted or your insurance would be invalid.

The excess is the amount of money your insurance company requires you to pay towards the cost of making a claim.

The excess is normally split into two parts.  1, the compulsory excess, which is an amount set by the insurer that’s dependant on what they think is appropriate for the cover they offer.
And 2. the voluntary excess, which you can set yourself when you apply for your cover, this should generally make the policy price cheaper, the higher you set your voluntary excess.

So if you make a claim for £2000 and you have a compulsory excess of £150 and a voluntary excess of £150 then your insurer would pay you £1700 and you would be expected to make up the balance.


A No Claims Bonus (commonly abbreviated to NCB) is given for each year by your insurance company if you do not make a claim on a car or motorcycle policy in your name. The majority of insurance companies only accept NCB that’s been earned in the UK and should accept NCB from policies expired within the past two years.

You can contact old insurers and ask them to send you a copy of your NCB (if you have any) and as long as it was earned within 2 years they should be able to send you confirmation to give to a new insurer.

This depends entirely on the policy you bought so check the details.  A lot of comprehensive policies will allow you to drive another vehicle so long as you have the owners permission, but also some do not – particularly with motorcycle insurance.  If this is important to you then check with the insurer when purchasing and always read the fine print and check if you are allowed, and if so what level of cover is given.

What our customers say about

Thanks for the link guys - I got a very good deal for my motorbike. Will look you up when the car is due to be renewed.

Isaac, Brighton - October 17, 2016

  » Read all our reviews

Stay in touch
Latest tweets

** is owned by Alacian Ltd, who are an Introducer Appointed Representative of Seopa Ltd. The quote system is owned and operated by Seopa Ltd, who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).